To the Competitors, Spectators, Vendors, and Hotels, we at SRA are sorry to announce the cancellation of the following events:
- The Saratoga Invitational – April 24-26 (dates fall inside the 8-week suspension of mass gatherings)
- Liberty League regatta – May 1st
(due to NCAA cancellations)
- NY Collegiate Championships – May 2nd
(due to multiple college closures)
We wish the best to our fellow competitors and the many businesses that support the regattas. The decision to cancel these regattas, though agonizing, was necessary.
While we prefer to give known information on which you can count, the current climate permits only speculation and transparency.
As of right now, the NY Scholastic States regatta is still ON (with a strong chance of postponement) as we continue to watch closely the recommendations of the CDC, NY State, and the rowing community.
That being said, we are exploring plans for modifications to the NY State Scholastic championships to best fit the current climate:
- Drone video of racing
- Expanding the schedule such that fewer athletes are on-site
- Running racing later in the day to allow for “day trips”
- Several handwashing stations
- Oar dunking stations
- Dropoff areas such that athletes and spectators can spend
minimal time on site
As mentioned above, we are also discussing the potential of postponement of the state championships. If championship season is extended or canceled, and we have the opportunity to provide a championship event, we will try to do so.
Wishing everyone the best.